Tuesday, September 29, 2009

journal 33

Worked in Journal 33 from serendipity art website this past summer. It was fun to play with color and ideas. Sometime last year, I think, I worked in Journal 59 and it was the first time I had done that. It is fun to know some of my thoughts and drawings are out "there" in the world. I thank Seren for the opportunity to participate in her project.



This was the first 2 pages. I had no idea what I'd do but know from experience that I just have to begin. I painted the pages in alizarin watercolor. Had this tissue paper with colorful circles. Pasted one down and thought it looked like fireworks. The little fox is from a failed illustration and she fit perfectly. Fireflies appeared and both those things are magic to me.



It did nothing but rain and rain and rain some more during the summer (what summer????) Thus the inspiration for this page.



I love this lion fountain head which is in the center of town. Although the water hasn't flowed from him for many years, it is designed to flow from his ears and mouth. I love the color of the patina. The stone is actually light gray, the dots are tissue paper and the Botticcelli figure is a stamp. I don't really like the way her shell looks so I used a daisy from a magazine.

The sun finally came out and I was delirious. The circle is Photoshop, rays are stencilled. The strips of color representing the flowers is from striped paper.


I loved the Firebird (fairytale) and played with Mosaic feature in Painter software to create the bird and a cage. White feathers and golden disks flow and sparkle as it flies.



Saw a painting called The Stack by Robert Neuman and loved. So this is my fun attempt at a stack. The black and white background might be a little busy though. I had all these postage stamps and I kept thinking about that painting and wanting to do something. This journal gave me the chance to play with the idea. The original painting had a pale green and white backgroung. His stack included items you'd see in a still life but it also had several ladders standing and tottering in mid-air. Fun and funny.


Celebrating Poe's birthday this year. The background is from a page I played with stamping a bottle cork. Didn't know what to do with it until thinking about this page. I think it works great. I think I downloaded the image from the Poe Stories website and photocopied and manipulated it. The photographer is unknown. Next to the image I used pressed letters for his name but it is hard to see here. The cats are stencils. It was fun and I'm now reading Poe's works. Got the book of his works from the library. It was published in 1943 my birthday year. Couldn't believe it. The papes are a little yellowed and the text is fabulous. They put so much on one page but it was so much easier to read than some of todays books.

7 comments:

Timaree said...

Great pages. Are your pages loose? Or how do you use the photoshop on them? I like how you use the tissue paper.

Mixed Media Martyr said...

LOVE seeing all your wonderful pages! They are inspirational!! My favourites are the lion fountainhead, and those beautiful gold disks on the firebird's tail!!! Leanne.

Anonymous said...

I love these kinds of fountains, too. Sad its not working. Very nice pages, I think I like the firebird best though, its really whimsical. The H2O was funny :-) we need some here .. I'll send you back some sun.

Lindart said...

I love the Firebird page! I've never seen a mosaic button - I don't know if they have one in Photos shop. But it really is a beautiful page!

I know what you mean by rain (it's raining now!) and what summer? LOL! Hopefully we'll get a good one next year.

Ramona said...

I like your pages. They show your creativity. Colorful, whimsical, and imaginative. Good work.

Kelly said...

These are wonderful fun pages. You did a great job of putting yourself out there. I have participated in some of Serendipity journals too but I don't remember which ones. The are fun to do that is for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Tammy Freiborg said...

Love your diverse, unique pages! Look forward to seeing more from you!